view cancellation policy
Culture shock rating:
Beer Makes History BetterGeneral Info | Photo Gallery | Traveller Feedback
Through fire, war, depression, cholera, rebellion, and repression, beer has been there soothing the woes of Toronto's people. Join them in historic pubs and hear tales of years gone by over a craft beer on this Toronto tour that proves that beer does indeed make history better (like that was ever in doubt)!
- Discover some fantastic seasonal and local brews, complete with recommendations from your beer geek tour guide
- Pay a visit to three unique and beloved Toronto pubs
- Meander through the iconic St Lawrence Market, chatting with vendors, admiring the products, and nabbing samples
- Explore the Distillery District, one of Toronto’s most historic and regenerated neighbourhoods
- Learn that beer really does make history better!
Tour style:Food & Market Visit, Local Life & Culture, Heritage & History
Local English-speaking guide.
Snacks, beverages, souvenirs, tips & gratuities for your guide.
Group size:Maximum 12
- Duration: 4 hours
- Meeting point:
Outside the Hockey Hall of Fame (NW corner of Yonge St. and Front St.)
- Starting time: 2.00 PM
- Ending point:
The Distillery District.
Additional information :
- Voucher exchange details:
Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the trip.
- Confirmation of booking:
If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We'll see you at the start point.
Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Additional information:
Please note that a beer sampling is included at the end of the tour. Drinks may be purchased at stops during the tour. In addition, the “Multicultural Kensington Market and Chinatown” tour begins and finishes before this tour. Consider doing both to make a full day of it!
- Dress standard:
Summers can be hot and humid, spring/autumn can be cool, and winters downright frigid with snow. Dress according to weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Child policy:
You must be at least 19 years old to join this tour. Photo ID must be supplied to your guide at the beginning of the tour.
- Language: English
Throughout its history, from the early 1800s, when Toronto was known as "York" to the modern metropolis it is today, the citizens of this city have used beer for refreshment and merrymaking. This Toronto beer tour is a historic walk through the streets of the old Toronto and an introduction to Canadian beer all rolled into one.
Your Toronto tour will start and end at local icons, visiting a few others in between. With a focus on craft beer made in Toronto and its surrounding regions, this beer tour is known to be one of the best things to do in Toronto. Throughout the tour, you’ll learn about what role beer has played though the decades in helping Torontonians cope with cholera, fire, war, depression, rebellion, muddy streets, general Victorian stuffiness, and decades of losing seasons by the Maple Leafs (of course).
This (now classic) beer tour in Toronto will visit a few unique and historical pubs, all with different atmospheres, patrons, servers, and, of course, beer selection. Your guide will be a verified beer geek, with a love and passion for beer that will be evident from the get go. They’ll be full of recommendations for you, and can easily help you navigate the river of local craft beers you’ll uncover along your journey.
Additionally, because we want to prove why high school history totally wasn’t as fun as this way of learning history, we will indulge you with some historical tales of early Toronto, hoping to give visitors and locals alike a new perspective on the city. Not just wanting to stick to beer, this Toronto tour will also make a stop at the historic St Lawrence Market, where you can sniff out samples (go for the mustard!), and discover why this place has such a solid place in the hearts of Torontonians.
We’ll cap off the tour in the Distillery District, an old industrial park and whiskey factory that has been converted into a hub of art, culture, and cafes. It’s a rather photogenic part of the city, so be sure your camera isn’t out of batteries before you get here!
If you’re going to tour Toronto, we’re pretty sure this is the way to do it. Beer, history, urban icons, and funky neighbourhoods – can you really get much better than that?!
Want to check out what other travellers think of their Urban Adventure experience? See below for our traveller feedback.
- Your overall experience ...................................................................................... 4.84
- Your guide’s enthusiasm, local knowledge and communication skills........................................................................................................................ 4.97
The level of opportunity to learn more about the culture, interact
with locals, and experience their way of life......................................................4.63
The Responsible Travel philosophy implemented on your
Urban Adventure................................................................................................... 4.72
- Did the trip match your expectations?.............................................................. 4.78
Mrs. ashley p.
USA ~ 18 Nov 2014[back to top]
Using a 3rd party to book made it a little confusing.
Mr. Emillie W.
United Kingdom ~ 18 Nov 2014[back to top]
Mike was absolutely wonderful! Can't wait to come back and do it again!
Mr. Brad W.
USA ~ 18 Nov 2014[back to top]
Great experience with Mike. Would definitely go again!
Mr. Ken M.
USA ~ 18 Nov 2014[back to top]
An absolutely great time! I highly recommend it! Mike was informative
Mr. Andre R.
Canada ~ 15 Nov 2014[back to top]
I expected more of an actual beer tour, e.g. visiting actual microbreweries or ones that existed from before.
Mr. Joshua B.
Canada ~ 22 Oct 2014[back to top]
Jason was awesome, he did an exceptional job. Lots of fun.
Ms. Pamela D.
United Kingdom ~ 15 Oct 2014[back to top]
Jason was an excellent host
Mr. Angela F.
Canada ~ 04 Oct 2014[back to top]
I was actually pretty ambivalent about beer before I took the tour.... now I have a new appreciation for it!
Mr. David D.
Ireland ~ 03 Sep 2014[back to top]
Tip-top tour, all thanks to Jason's knowledge and genuine enthusiasm. Would recommend the Beer Tour without hesitation.
Ms. Susan D.
USA ~ 31 Aug 2014[back to top]
Jason was a fantastic guide and we had a great time. The pace was unhurried. We had plenty of time to enjoy our beers and we learned a lot about Toronto.
Mr. Alex B.
Canada ~ 02 Jul 2014[back to top]
My girlfriend and I took a half day on friday and did the Local Beer tour & it was great. We were the only two on the tour (+ a videographer)and we had a blast. The tour guide was very personable and knew tons of neat little facts/stories about the city/pubs & beer. I would definatly recomend to all!
Mr. Ben H.
Australia ~ 27 Jun 2014[back to top]
Dan was an excellent guide and very knowledgeable. Overall, it was lots of fun and a good way to get to know a part of the city as the local see it.
Mr. Mark T.
United Kingdom ~ 22 May 2014[back to top]
I was the only one booked on this midweek tour. All credit to Urban Adventures and your guide that it wasn't cancelled due to lack of numbers. Great tour and guide. Really made my trip to Toronto memorable.
Mr. James S.
Australia ~ 22 May 2014[back to top]
Fantastic tour. Great beer. James was an awesome guide.
Ms. Luanne P.
USA ~ 30 Jan 2014[back to top]
Jason was an awesome tour guide, very informative, fun, and considerate. Very interesting and eclectic sort of tour, everything from the Stanley Cup to cholera and Bansky, PLUS beer to go along. Will definitely be checking out more Urban Adventure Tours in the future. Thank you for the tour!!
Ms. Brittany W.
Canada ~ 22 May 2013[back to top]
I live in the city and learned so many things I didn't know! Dave was SUPER awesome.
Mr. Nick E.
United Kingdom ~ 21 Mar 2013[back to top]
The tour exceeded all expectations, highly recommended.
Mr. Jacob W.
USA ~ 26 Feb 2013[back to top]
My wife went to Toronto for our honey moon and wanted to do something interesting and fun. Jason took us on a great tour of Toronto, showing us local pubs, local landmarks and a special treat the St. Lawrence Market. We spent a bit over 3 hours touring and learning about the city. Its obvious Jason is passionate about his tours through the way he talks about his city and well beer... It was perfect!
When we travel, we will be looking in to Urban Adventures for cities that we visit... Jason did an awesome job!
Mr. Jeff D.
Australia ~ 07 Jan 2013[back to top]
Jason is one of the best tour guides I have ever encountered.
Ms. Cherith G.
Canada ~ 11 Oct 2012[back to top]
It was awesome! Thank you!
Ms. Deborah C.
Canada ~ 07 Sep 2012[back to top]
Our guide, Jason Kucherawy, was very knowledgeable and personable. The tour was enjoyable, worthwhile, and a super experience.
Ms. Frankie L.
Canada ~ 01 Sep 2012[back to top]
My tour guide was Jason and he made the tour fantastic. I've been recommending him and this tour to anyone who will listen!
Mr. David V.
~ 30 Aug 2012[back to top]
Our guide, Jason, was excellent. Friendly, funny and very knowledgeable, He did a great job. You could tell he was passionate about his job and the history involved.
Ms. Amanda I.
~ 19 Aug 2012[back to top]
Fantastic walking tour of downtown Toronto. As an American, I loved learning about the history of Toronto and Canada and I absolutely loved trying all of the different kinds of beers that Canada has to offer. Overall, an excellent tour. I would recommend it to anyone I know going to or already living in Toronto.
Mr. JOHN M.
Canada ~ 08 Aug 2012[back to top]
Excellent tour !! Thanks to our tour guide Dave who made this one of the most enjoyable walking tours we've taken...
We had a great time and learned alot of interesting facts along the way !!
Ms. Louise T.
Canada ~ 02 Aug 2012[back to top]
Exceeded all of our expectations!
This trip is offered on a "join-in" basis. Maximum group size is 12.
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides a tip - though not compulsory - is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this trip.
- Cancellations made more than 2 days prior to travel receive a full refund
- Cancellations made 2 days or less prior to travel attract a 100% cancellation fee.
The Toronto Urban Adventures team is made up of local tour guides who live in Toronto. When you travel with us, you are getting a local's perspective and the benefit of a resident's knowledge. We're also a lot of fun to hang out with.
Here are our good-humored guides..
Toronto Urban Adventures!
Feels like: 21°C
Mostly cloudy. Mild.
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.